Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
At my house we leave the butter out all the time. Land of Lakes, salted in the one pound tubs. L

Us too, and we buy nothing but Organic butter. We don't refrigerate eggs either.

The reason the hysteria about refrigerating butter and such is because "aseptic" production leaves the way open for all kinds of amazingly virulent nasties to move in quickly. We also drink nothing but raw milk, and sometimes, it gradually turns sour, after which it becomes another ingredient for baking. It does not suddenly turn into a horror-blob the way pasteurized milk does AND it's the only liquid milk I can tolerate without some serious turbulence in my tummy.

I'm not trying to be the least bit critical or judgmental, but I would NEVER do that personally. Call me paranoid. I guess I've been influenced by my studies in public health and disease vectors (not specifically referring to dairy products) I presume you are close to and familiar with the source?

The real benefits of pasteurization apply to mass production, transportation, distribution and storage issues, not local stuff fresh off the farm, anyway. Nonetheless, it has prevented untold thousands of deaths and illnesses.

So, how do you feel about irradiation of food? I'm all for it, as It appears to be far safer than chemical based preservatives.

Jeff