Originally Posted By: haertig
The problem is my "old eyes". I'm significantly nearsighted, and have progressive bifocals on top of that. The 8099 is nice because you can line up on your target, and then pull the compass totally away from where you were working, point it any-old-where, and still read the bearing from your targeting work. That is a lifesaver for those of us who cannot focus on the distant target, align the needle (or disk in the case of the 8099), and also read the bearing at the same time. Pictures I've seen of the GI lensatic make me thing you have to be able to work on all those planes of focus at the same time. If you move the compass from your sighting position, you lose the bearing with a lensatic. Is that correct?

The GI does lack the rotating, settable bezel found on clear plastic base plate type compasses. You need to sight the target and read the bearing at the same time. My vision is ok, so I don't know how hard it is to use with glasses.

Nice thing about your type of compass is you can set the bearing from the map without ever having to read anything in degrees.

I'm in the opposite position, never having used a mirrored compass - how exactly do you use the mirror?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."