Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
>SNIP<
Oh, and to the point of fire extinguishers. If you've never practiced on live fire with one, make a way to do it. Ideally you can do it in your yard, but if not, try to find a place to learn with LIVE FIRE not some dumb simulation. You can buy small extinguishers for $12 - it's well worth it. Make a fire with something oily and stubborn - soak some rags in used motor oil and hang some old curtains over it to simulate a kitchen grease fire. You want to experience the heat and noise and feel and smell of the process before you have to do it for real.

If I may suggest taking a local CERT class, let me jump in. Our fire department teaches Community Emergency Response Team classes. We learned triage, limited search and rescue, and had hands on training with a fire hose and fire extinguishers on the fire department's training lot with fires in a tub of water.

I would hesitate to make a fire in _my_ neighborhood with oily rags under an old curtain, but never let it be said that I encouraged safety. I've lost track of the number of wild fires here in California, so one more shouldn't matter. Floating embers from burning rags are lovely at night.