Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
It's funny, I live in NYC, so we have paid first responders, but 20 years ago, I lived on Long Island. I looked into joining the local department when I moved out there

I was told that before I could join, even as a probie, I had to live in the town a minimum of 12 months. Then I had to do fire school, and 6 months of "cleaning amd maintainence of the building" before I would be allowed to go on my first run.. At which point I stood up, told the cheif where he could stick his hose nozzle, and left

Long Island is not like the rest of the USA, in the same way Mars is not like Earth. Long Island volunteer fire companies have more money than they need, more bad attitude than they earn and more waste than the worst government boondoggle agency you can think of. While I'm struggling to afford a lousy $900 for a laptop for the company, Long Island fire companies send their members on $20,000 cruises to "discuss issues they face raising funds". Don't put Long Island in the same category as the rest of American volunteer fire companies. They are nothing like us.

I grew up on Long Island, lived there from the time I was 5 until I was in my mid 20's, and again from the time I was 27 until I was 31. I've earned the right to say that.