Originally Posted By: dweste
As I contemplate starting over, leaving most of my "stuff" behind, I am trying to see the shape of my future. I find I do not want to live a life being less adventurous or free. Yet every job I look at seems to guarantee I will have to surrender or defer being adventurous, happy, and free.

Maybe these are immature fantasies or a mid-life crisis, but I find myself being wiling to trade away higher income and more "stuff" for what looks to me a greater chance to experience more adventure, happiness, and freedom.

I look at friends, family, and aquaintences and do not see that they are adventurous or happy much of the time. From the outside and from my conversations with them, everyone feels locked-in - even if for some it is with the "golden handcuffs" of a well-paying job.

So I am looking at how much I need versus want, that sort of thing. I doubt if these are new questions for you either.

How about you? Getting the adventure, happiness, and freedom you were expecting? How about your loved ones? If not, what should be done about it?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with re-evaluating one's life dweste, just be careful of the greener grass on the other side of the fence fallacy.

There's a saying I read a long time ago that sticks with me.

"The only Zen one finds at the top of the mountain is the Zen one brings with him".

If finding a new simpler career is what you really want for your life, is consistent with what you value, and you can make it work, go for it.

If you feel there's something missing in your life and you looking to a bit of adventure to fill it, you may be very disappointed.

I find raising my child to be all the "adventure" I can handle. What a wild strange trip it's been so far.....