Maybe it's just me, but everyone who is interested in solar seems to be wanting active (mechanical) solar. Does anyone ever consider passive solar? I've seen homes with a solar array on the roof, with the main bank of windows facing any direction except south. I guess that's fine if you've got more money than you know what to do with. But wouldn't it make sense to start with passive solar, reduce your heating/cooling needs, and THEN start investigating active solar?

I had made the comment fairly recently that every new home (within maybe ten years) was placed to face the street, not the sun, and Martin F. contradicted me, saying that more and more are taking advantage of solar gain. So I've been looking again. Nope, not here in W. WA. There are quite a few custom houses on acreage, and without any exceptions that I could see, every single one of them faces the street. The only ones facing south are the ones on the north side of their east/west street. What a waste of free energy!

Anyone interested in mostly-passive solar should check out a book called Solviva by Anna Edey. (Ignore the next section of the title, which is expensive blue-sky.) But her work with the basics of solar thermal convection is very interesting, and she built her home on those principles.

Her designs for in-home composting toilets are also useful. And please keep in mind that her designs have been in use for some years now, they are not just theoretical pie-in-the-sky.

Sue