A couple of random thoughts:

1) Some people like to talk about flashlights surviving multistory drops onto concrete. However, 123A batteries will not be happy with this. (In fact, I'd replace them if a light fell any great distance. They have been known to explode.)

2) I've never had a problem with a fenix or a surefire. I don't know if I believe the fenixes are anodized as claimed, as the paint comes off where they get dinged. The surefires just get dings.

3) Here's a crazy one: I think flashlights should be yellow and have phosphorescent paint. Ever try to find a black flashlight that you dropped in the dark? Mine all have loop lanyards for that reason.

4) My main concern with a good quality light is its output. 185 lumens is amazing outdoors in the dark and can also temporarily blind someone. (Indoors, you probably don't need that much light.)

5) After reading lots of discussion about Xenon bulbs are better/are not better than LEDs in smoke, I've come to the conclusion they are at least certainly better in fog. I usually take a Surefire E2E camping, but the battery life is so bad so that I rarely use it. But I always carry the Fenix.

Edited by Fitzoid (07/29/08 01:48 PM)
Edit Reason: typo