[/quote]Confidence is no substitute for empirical evidence. There are too many people claiming to know something, but no one proving it. [/quote]

It's all part of a multi-national, multi-generational conspiracy, you see. I hear the Bilderburgers and the Trilateral Commission are behind it. ;-)

"Proof" is a slippery thing. I'm a lawyer, I should know. Some things that have been proved to pretty much everyone's satisfaction in the past dsiplayed a nasty habit of suddenly getting unproved at a later date. Moreover, I'm claiming no particular state of facts, merely citing the apparent opinion of a well-qualified expert in the field, which is, indeed, a credible form of evidence.

As for "empirical evidence," of UFOs, I submit that that is about all we have, at least in the sense of evidence gained by operation of human sensory organs.

Many things now commonly accepted as proved in the scientific community began as someone's "nutty, whacko" and certainly minority-view theory.

What quantum of proof is required? There are many who believe the Apollo Moon landing were faked on a sound stage, and the Flat-Earth Society is still out there (It's turtles, turtles all the way down) How many otherwise bright, sane people don't "believe" in evolution?

In any case, it's the sort of thing that sparks the imagination, and the concept of UFOs is fun to play with,

Now, returning, sort of, to the general theme of this forum, what should we do and say when the aliens land?

We will know nothing but waht they want to tell us of their motives and intentions, and of the civilization from whence they came. They could be pirates, or mercantilists, out to exploit us. They could be official representatives of a benevolent civilization, who only want to help us, or the opposite. Or they could represent a losing side in a galactic conflict, seeking refuge or aid. But we won't KNOW.

I submit that the only thing we can, or should, say to them is "please go away for, say, 100 years. We aren't ready to deal with you yet. But please feel free to leave an Encyclopedia Galactica and a communications device behind. We'll call you; don't call us."

Either they will comply, or they won't. But their response will tell us pretty much everything we need to know their nature and intentions, won't it?

Comments?

Jeff