His first mistake was letting the burglar out of the house. His second was pursuing him once he escaped. His third was in not getting the burglar's body back into the house unobserved after delivering the fatal blow. He deserves to go to prison if he isn't going to be adequately prepared.

It's like I train my daughters to think. They see movies of girls running through the woods in fear of some shadowy menace, or see news broadcasts of women being stalked by some pervert ready to grab them from behind at a dark parking lot and stuff them in a van. Wouldn't it be far better if my girls thought and acted more like opportunistic predators themselves than like helpless, unaware victims? If they prepare themselves for confrontation and plan successful strategies that will almost ensure them the advantage in an ambush or E&E type scenario, wouldn't that be more practical? I know it is certainly doable.

It is much more preferable I think that the last terrifying thing going through the would-be assailant's mind is what a bad mistake he just made thinking my girl(s) are somehow helpless women who would be afraid of him, and how much what they are about to do to him is going to hurt, before he expires.