So next month my step-daughter leaves for college in New York City. Being the preparedness minded guy I am my going away gift for her is a BONY bag - Bug Out New York bag. In thinking about this, knowing her, and doing some research I made the following assumptions:
1. She will not carry around a BOB/EDC kit, so this is designed for a notice event or post event evacuation. In other words it will be stored at the bottom of her closet and hopefully dug out in an emergency.
2. The college has an emergency plan in place to take care of students, which will take care of most normal issues (short term power outages, dorm fire, etc). This kit is for her to use if she has to evacuate the city.
3. It is not designed for holing up and waiting the incident out (for more than 24 hours). I considered such a kit but decided that a)there is very limited room in dorms and b)college students will eventually eat any food in the room, pre-disaster and c)If it is that bad she needs to get to the school shelter or evacuate the city.

With that in mind I built the kit around an old laptop backpack. The kit goes in the laptop section, with the main section empty so she can put in a change of clothes before running. On the outside is a laminated red card that says what to do:
1. Attempt once to call home / text msg home with evac. plan
2. Change into comfy clothes, shoes and socks
3. Put change of clothes into backpack
4. Fill canteen (yes, I didn't put survival water packets in - see assumption 1)
5. Leave

The kit contains:
Can opener
Canteen (fill with water before leaving dorm)
Small roll of duct tape
2 Dust masks
Facial tissues
First Aid kit
Flashlight w/extra batteries
Hand sanitizer
Pocket knife
Map of NYC area
Money
NJ transit ticket to our home station (we live in NJ)
Notepad
Survival Nutrition bar
Pen
Telephone calling card
Poncho
EOD Breacher Bar (also doubles as a defensive weapon)
Radio w/extra batteries
Rope (Paracord)
EMT scissors
2 12 hour chemical light sticks
2 Emergency blankets
2 Scarves (dust/cold protection)
Whistle/compass/matches combo

I didn't put in a subway card because a)they expire and b)she will have one on her normally. There is another laminated card with emergency contact phone numbers and a list of the contents, and a 3rd laminated card with 6 alternate evacuation routes.

Hopefully she will never need it,
-Kurt