Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: BobS
But a ceramic filter will not tolerate freezing temperatures, it will crack.

That's a critical piece of information. I don't get to choose what time of year disaster strikes. If I have to bug out in winter and my water filter cracks, it's a worthless piece of junk.

Fiberglass filters will also crack when the filter is still wet in freezing temperatures. Fiberglass will stand up better to temperature changes. I prefer the cleanability of ceramic over the fiberglass resistance to temperature. Ceramic filters has proven to be reliable enough for me.

Personally i think you can't really compair the hiker with the pocket. The pocket is a big chunck of allunium and heavy duty parts. It looks and feels heavy duty, which also means the filter is self is heavy. The hiker is much more plastic-ish and it just hasn't the quality feel of the hiker. Thats why the pocket is marketed to people on long expeditions and rescue workers. The hiker is more of a filter for hikers and such, thats why it isn;t as heavy duty.

Somebody already mentioned the katadyn combi, which is also a good heavy duty filter, with alluminium (or was it steel?) lining inside the pump. The carbon capability is a plus, but you can also upgrade a pocket with a carbon after filter (uses the same granulates as the combi).

if you are preparing for a short emergency, than the hiker is fine. Although there are plenty of other brands and models. If you plan on long emergency's for the combi or pocket for a portable filter.