One of the first jobs I had I used to get a ride into work with a coworker who always carried $2000 to $3000 in cash on him or locked in his car. This was back when minimum wage was a bit more than $2 an hour. His claim, borne out by his successes, was that if you came across across a deal you had leverage if you could act right then, in cash, and dazzle the seller with a fan of dead presidents.

One day coming back from work we saw a boat for sale. He asked I minded a short detour. Figuring I could learn something I agreed to a stop. We stopped, looked over the boat and carefully read the sign. Emphasizing the cash-and-carry nature of the deal, a deal that could be concluded -cash in hand- in the next five minutes gave him a lot of leverage. When he fanned the fist full of crisp, new dollars the owners eyes bugged out.

The owner wanted $1500 but after seeing the cash and understanding the boat would be gone immediately he settled for $1000. Writing a check and having to delay the conclusion of the deal wouldn't preclude bargaining. But I doubt it would have had so much impact. The deal-no deal, make the call now nature of the deal favored cash and gave him tremendous leverage.

Five minutes later we backed up the car and dragged off the boat. This boat was sold a week later for $1800. A quick $800 profit back when $800 was better than two weeks wage at a good job.

He made a good bit of extra cash buying boats and guns and tools and vehicles. Always making a good profit by using the leverage and power of cash money and the offer of a deal concluded Now.

Money talks. People listen.