Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Don't put too much confidence in the legal system. Their goal is not truth and justice. Their goal is to win the case, period.

True story:

When I was 15 years old one of my older brother's friends threatened me with a baseball bat inside my own home. He was an adult and he was bigger than me. So I picked up another baseball bat and I hit him before he could have a chance to hit me.

I thought I acted in self defense then, and 20 years later I still think I acted in self defense. But I was arrested and convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. The aggressor spent some time in the hospital then went home, and I, the defender, went to a desert in Nevada until I was 18 years old.

I have much respect for human beings, but I lost all respect for the legal system 20 years ago.

I didn't want to snip any of your quote because it is very good and TRUE. I'm sorry that you were so unjustly served. Justice cannot be guaranteed, nor even expected. I myself have had a little taste of the wrong side of the law (charges dropped, thank heavens) but I would have defended myself the same way today. (I just would have called the cops before the thugs did.) It was a sick, gross, unreal feeling to have the cops grill me after Mirandizing (sp!) me. I can only imagine how hard it would be to have a guilty verdict handed down.

However, that being said, just this week a man was shot dead in broad daylight after having an argument. The aggressor took off his backpack and "came at" the other, with NO WEAPON. The other man shot him dead. Now, according to my CCW training, the threat was imminent (check!) the intent was iffy (did he say he was going to kill him?) and the ability was suspect (no weapon, unkown if the aggressor was much larger than the shooter). In my book, the D.A. should have probably filed charges. They DIDN'T, and released a statement saying they would not be seeking to file them!

Maybe it's just in certain states, but it seems the self-defense alibi is still alive and kicking. One thing that helped him immensely was that he stayed right there and called the cops himself. They didn't even book him!

So, knowing the law can't hurt, and can help you design your defense plan. If the court case goes horribly wrong, chalk it up to life's sick ironies and try to survive the rest of it. But you will be ALIVE and the perp will be dead.