I know I'm comming in late here......
First I would get some hands on training and shooting time. Learn how to handle, safely, firearms in general. How to reload them, aim them etc....
Armed with that knowledge go and pick one out. Try them on for fit in hand, ease of ergonomics etc.... You may choose either a revolver or automatic. Whatever floats your boat, bearing in mind the semi-auto pistol has a different manual of arms than a revolver and requires a little more to get/keep them going. Not much, but a little.
You now have some training (get as much as you can) and a firearm. Get something to secure it from prying fingers, be they child or adult theif.
Next get a good cleaning kit for your firearm. Reason why so many criminals guns fail to fire is that they are either a junk gun, prone to failure or dirty to the point of failure. You wash your hand after using the bathroom? "Wash" your guns after going to the range.
So, now you have training, a firearm, means to keep firearm safe from unwanted acess and the means to keep it up and running. Next I'll discuss accessories.......

-Bill Liptak