Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
My point was simply that a .44 Magnum gutshot is going to stop you.
Maybe a few days later when they stop living due to septic shock from the digestive contents that leaked into their abdomen. But that doesn't help you as the the victim one bit during the actual attack.

They'll probably just look down, say "I've been shot! That one went clean through-and-through! I'm gonna kill you you $%&)@^!!!", and continue attacking you. I'll give you that you should use the largest most powerful caliber that you can easily control and place shots well with. But if you can't control the largest/most powerful, you should back down on the power you chose, not the control. I know I can't shoot a .44mag well. I've only shot one on one occasion, and that was more than enough. A few shots with one of those cannons will tell any normal person that this is not a personal defense handgun (except maybe Dirty Harry). A .357mag is the most I can control well enough for defensive use, and even that's really pushing it for me. I would not choose that for my defensive weapon, even though it's one of the best choices if you only look at terminal ballistics and ignore the control issue. Some people can control a .357 well during rapid fire/stress, but for many it's pretty marginal if not impossible.