First of all, thanks to Doug and everyone associated with equipped.org; while I just signed up, I've learned a great deal from the site and past posts and decided it's time to participate.

Here's some background, then my question: I keep a modular survival kit, made up of a small set of items that go with me much of the time in pockets or a hip pack, then an Eagle Creek Bhatah Sab bag which consists of two parts - a zip-off pack that goes with me when I pilot a plane or backpack or drive outside the local area (and which contains crucial medical, signaling and other items), and the main bag, which I zip together with the smaller bag and which contains long-term backcountry survival and shelter items for when I'm driving into the wilderness or flying (for example) over the Sierras or into British Columbia.

Here's my issue: I'm wondering what should go into a PSK that would be allowed on board a commercial flight while other items are packed away in the baggage hold...obviously blades and many items are out, so what would be allowed? What would be the best possible kit we can all come up with that would be allowed on board?

As an aside, I question the need for snares and fishing equipment these days in any small kit...certainly could do without them for a kit that can travel with me, as I expect water and medical needs are far more important than food within the time period I'm likely to be awaiting rescue in those cases when I'm not traveling with the full kit.

Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing the forum's answers on an airline-friendly PSK while I mull over ideas myself, which I'll also post.

Thanks!