Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Originally Posted By: red
I can't remember all of the times that people come in for early refills on meds that affect their CNS.

Not just people but the doctors who prescribe them. My doctor has put me on 'preventative' antibiotics many times and the instructions on the bottle are very specific to TAKE THEM ALL! The last few times I haven't filled the prescription. I don't need to built a tolerance to something that could save my life later.

Lately I've just stopped going. If I get the sniffles I just take care of myself and it passes. If I keep it up after I feel better, I continue to feel better. I've been feeling under the weather once in the last year...that's some real prevention.

I'm glad that you are in great health...never take that for granted!

(I'm assuming the antibiotics are for something other than acne.)
Many prophylactic antibiotics are for when you've had something stitched up, or pre-post-surgery or stuff like that. Your decision not to take it is certainly yours to make. But you are rolling the dice if you DON'T take them. If you wait until you get cellulitis and it's speeding up your limb, you have a real emergency.

And your doctor is 100% correct to tell you to TAKE THEM ALL. The "tolerance" you are cautious of is actually the bugs surviving a subtherapeutic dose of the antibiotic... much more likely to occur if you DON'T take them all. Your body doesn't develop a "tolerance" for antibiotics, the infecting bacteria do!