However, it was said above that using deadly force on a burglar should be only when you are in fear of your life. In my state, that is most certainly not the case.

I stand corrected again, if you were referring to my post. I should not have inferred that deadly force should "never" be used to protect property... I erred on the side of reason as opposed to my natural thought process which is: "You're not even getting in the door, if I have a say about it".

Good for your State and the laws it's enacted. The protection of property is important and, even if not immediately life-threatening, can quickly turn so as soon as an owner asserts his right to the property being taken. This, I think, is why many States do allow deadly force to be used to protect property. I am of generally the same opinion.

The probelm with burglary is the inherent danger. As Russ said, the burglary KNOWS who he is and what he's doing. That's a deadly situation waiting to happen. So.... while I don;t think deadly force should be used in every situation where there is an unwanted person in the home (nor do I think you do either), more often that not, deadly force probably should be used. Each is its own case, of course.

Edited by Stretch (07/21/08 01:42 AM)