Possession of a DD214 is no longer sufficient proof ot training under the last Grey Davis insult.The myth of a handgun being inaccurate at range is just that. Within the limits of the cartridge some rather suprising results can be obtained.The 45LC is at a disadvantage for several reasons; the change from .454 to .451 bullet and barrel kept a comparatively weak black powder case now married to .451 bullets and a .454 cylinder. Unless you cast soft .451 slug that can upset in the rifling accuracy will suffer. The platforms are a mixed lot- and HEAVY. All factory ammo is loaded for black powder frame Cols, still a very potent round and probably pushing the usefull limits of the case. The SA mode is very comfortable, but you will need training to put multiple rounds downrange. The modern S& W 'N' frame is a nice package, but current production is horrid compared to even the last 3 screw pinned barrel jobs. The older Colt New Service revolvers are now heavily collected, a shame as they are .454, but also have a virtually useless DA pull.Forget the .45LC for a first handgun. A DA revolver will allow a better matching of hand ergonomics; frame size and aftermarket grips, safety and is the fastest weapon to be brought into action. Quality revolvers also handle different cartridges many semis out of the box cannot.You need to put aside ALL preconceived parameters for handguns. Sometimes a particular package simply works well with different people. I first qualified with a S & W Victory in the service. My gunner's Mate wisely started me with one since I had no prior experience. I shot expert and by week's end repeated it with a 1911 (superb instruction, not any inate ability.)After owning and shooting just about every caliber and platform, I ironically find a old Model 10 Smith and Wesson with 6" barrel and plain vanilla 158 grain ( or 200 grain superpolice when I find them)the best all around package for home defense. Ed McGivern was right!

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (07/20/08 04:16 PM)