Unless things have improved in CA since I was last there (fat chance of that), you will not be able to purchase a handgun until you have had an "approved" weapons class at an approved place of instruction. Unless you are a LEO, in the military, or have a DD214 from prior military service. You will have to have a gun safe (not just a locking container) that is on the state approved list. In certain of the more rural counties you might be able to get a CCW permit, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. You could read thru this , it will give you some idea of what is ahead for you.

Since you are brand new to the handgun thing, I would suggest you look at revolvers instead of semi-autos. Simple and easy to use, shorter learning curve (as long as you shoot single action. Accurate double action shooting takes longer to master). I have never fired one, only handled it, but the Taurus Judge that I believe someone has already mentioned on your dog thread might meet your needs. The .410 shotshells, or slugs, might hurt those dogs you are worried about, plus you could put meat in the pot with the shotshells. It is my understanding that accuracy with .45LC ammo is not fantastic, probably due to the long cylinder/barrel jump, but it would probably work for close range...