Hudson Bay Bread
Recipe Ingredients
• 1 Cup butter, softened
• 1 Cup of sugar
• 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup (or a little more)
• 3 Tablespoons of honey (or a little more)
• 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
• 9 1/2 Cups finely ground rolled oats (I can only get 6-7 cups in, it gets too hard to mix)
• 1/2 Cup sliced almonds (I never use ‘em)
Serves: 6
This was a European staple before workers of the Hudson Bay Company packed it along on beaver-trapping excursions into what is now the American West. No light snack, this early energy bar reportedly stoked the metabolic fires of Sir Edmund Hillary as he ascended Everest.
At Home: Cream together the butter, sugar, syrup, honey, and vanilla. Grind the oats using a food processor or coffee grinder, then slowly stir in the almonds and oats. Press it all into a 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake at 325:F for 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t overcook; it crumbles. As soon as you remove it from the oven, press the mix firmly with a spatula (VERY important). Cut into squares and let cool in the pan.
Calories: 400 Carbohydrates: 54.36 Cholesterol: 33 Dietary Fiber : 2.8 Fiber: 3.4
Protein: 9.1 Saturated Fat: 8.3 Sodium: 129 Total Fat: 17.4

Be advised that this mix becomes VERY difficult to stir as it gets thicker. I don't know if a power mixer with something like a dough hook would help or not...