Assuming the blackout is mid-to-long term, like the Great Eastern Blackout of '03 (we had no power for 2-3 days where I lived) or longer...

I'm doing what samhain is doing as far as the refrigerated goods go. Not that I couldn't afford one, but I live in an apartment building where a generator would not only be a possible noise/space problem, but would arouse suspicion and be a liability for theft, etc..

As for power for my small electronic devices, I've got a Black & Decker Power to Go portable battery. This will recharge the small luxury electronics (PSP, Nintendo DS) but the digital camera battery will have the priority here, should I want to document events as they unfolded.
As for the laptop I've got a car battery and an inverter, however long that will last.

I shouldn't have a problem with lighting, at least for quite a while. I've got a buttload of battery-powered lanterns, flashlights, batteries, and bulbs, most of which I've found on clearance (name brands and good quality though). I went kind of overboard here because during the '03 blackout, I was grossly underprepared and had only ONE glowstick and one Mini Mag-Lite with half-dead batteries. By Day 2 I was sitting in the dark, work calling me and telling me not to come in, scared out of my wits!

As for cooking I've got a propane grill for grilling, and a portable stove that runs on butane canisters. I don't need to use much fuel in the latter if I'm making something as quick and simple as Ramen noodles.

I've also got candles just sitting in my desk drawer waiting to be used, even with some brass candleholders w/ finger rings that I got at an antique store and untarnished at home.