This weekend my son and I were out fishing and just generally messing about in the Rappahannock River here in VA. We were wading, crossing rapids, and ultimately swimming. Decided to test the basic EDC gear and kept my Mini RSK, Rock River 1W LED light (from Target), and a mini bic in my pocket.

End result, the Mini RSK was fine. The Rock River 1W LED light was in fact water resistant/proof (it is o-ring sealed but I was worried about the bezel).

The mini bic, well, we all know that they need to be dried out after a dunking. Tried to blow it out, but was unsuccessful in getting a spark. Waited a while and managed to get a weak spark, but no light. Took a couple of hours to finally light reliably again. End result, I still carry it since 99% of the time it can be kept reasonably dry, but it would have failed if I had an accidental dunking that I needed to start a fire to avoid hypothermia with. Path forward, looking for another fire starting method that will be more water resistant that is small enough for EDC (probably a small fero rod).

Bill