I don't see hunting, fishing trapping or, for that matter, farming as important survival strategies in most situations or for most people.

Any or all of those resource gathering methods might be relevant if I found myself set adrift without support in the deep wilds of Alaska, on a remote island, in the remotest part of the Amazon basin or one of the few spots in the lower forty-eight not within a fifty miles of a habitation.

Thing is I have traveled quite a bit by car, train and airliner and considering the routes, discounting the over ocean trips where I couldn't hike out, I may have never been in or over any territory that qualifies as remote enough to make truly long term subsistence an issue.

Knowing this the priority if dropped into the woods is to get rescued or hike out to a settlement. Walking into a Burger king is much easier and more effective than stalking furry critters or fishing. If it is a disruption of the normal civilized context then the goal has to be remaining healthy until the system can reset and/or rebuild. Think two weeks for most events. With moderate disruption for thirty to ninety days after.

The exception is during depression or economic calamity. But this is not a matter of pounding nutrition out of the backwoods with what you have in a backpack so much as gaining and maintaining the right job. More about homesteading and less about wilderness survival.

I generally don't include fishing, hunting or trapping supplies in my kit. Sometimes I have some fishing gear on hand but it is usually intended as recreation.