hmm, WHAT recession?

Sorry to be insensitive but I happen to live in the one area of North America that is enjoying HIGH growth with nominal GDP almost doubling in the last few years. We are enjoying the perfect storm of high commodity prices for all our major exports at the same time and the forecast is for more of the same for several years. Unemployment is down, pay cheque is up. If eastern Canada is getting you down, then come out west, young man, come out west!

We've endured many Many MANY years of being "next year country" and "holding on" until things turn around. Well, finally they have. During all those dry years, we didn't give up hope, never gave up the belief that things could improve. When my parents and grandparents have had to survive the depressions of the '30s where there was better than 50% unemployment, prairie folk developed a thick skin and a lot of resilience. We suffered through the high interest rates of the '80s and negative economic & population growth. We watched and listened while everybody else took pot shots and jibes at us, took it all in stride while they laughed all the way to the bank. "What goes around comes around" so when I see 3rd world countries with a 75% inflation rate on the most basic of human needs - their food largely because of the West's desire for biofuels, my heart goes out to them.

Edited by Roarmeister (07/11/08 01:12 AM)