Fitzoid is right about the bears.

Fitzoid is right that the extreme way Dave expresses himself lends itself to the interpretation that Dave is in the "more guts than brains" category.

But unless I have really missed something, the rest of Dave's posts, and the fact that he chose to post, all suggest that he is reasonably practiced and prepared for ordinary hiking and camping.

I agree Dave appears to be rushing final preparations, but no one has made clear what additional training or practice he should do.

I agree protracted time on the trail is way different than what Dave has done so far. But no one has pointed out any extreme and immediate danger that is likely to occur way outside Dave's current experience and gear.

My concern focuses on Dave's lack of judgment. But the trail will teach its hard lessons quickly and it does not appear that Dave will be so far in the back of beyond that he cannot just walk out with the gear he will be taking.

And he's not going to take the few months to train, practice, and upgrade skills and gear, though almost everyone on the forum, including me, would recommend just that. (Longer trips, trying to live off the land for an extended time, etc.)

With reasonable luck and a conservtive approach, I think Dave will survive being molded by the trail, at least I hope so.

Edited by dweste (07/10/08 07:48 PM)