I didn't need to preserve fish, I just made it part of my routine to catch it then cook it fresh. I made a little pool that I kept my fish in and when I would catch one I would just throw it over in the pool. Fresh is always better. When you eat the same foods all the time you start craving something different, salt helps, it's also good first aid for things like a splinter, you can just soak it in hot salt water. I mostly stuffed the fish to keep it from drying out and to add a little flavor.
I always took my boots off to cross the creeks, they aren't that deep and you should always keep your boots dry, just walk easy. The rocks in the creeks are slick. Also you'll need to take a few bars of soap, I suggest Ivory, it floats, and keep it by the creek. You might want to put a point on your hiking stick too. Ginsing grows wild there too and makes a good tea and is good for energy. You'll probably be able to find some crayfish in the sides of the banks of the creeks and if you really can't find any other food at all, you can turn over the rocks in the creeks and find spring lizards. Never tried them and not sure I would, but there's alot of them there.