I've heard recommendations that you should eat, cook, relieve yourself, and store your smelly food/gear a mile away!

Personally I don't go to that extreme but if you do hang your stuff in a tree leave it hanging from a length of rope, don't just get it wedged up the trunk...all bears can climb trees and will if it suits their fancy. My favorite trick is to tie a carabiner to a rope and use the weight to easily throw that over a high branch. I lower it, loop another rope (which is tied to my bear bag) through it and then haul the biner up before there is any tension. The rope slides easily through the 'biner and it's easy to get your stuff up and down with no snags and no damage to the tree. Leave it hanging and away from any largish branches so a climbing bear can't get to it. A smart bear will likely get it anyhow but if it's out of camp a ways at least all you've lost is your food and a bit of gear which would likely be salvagable.

Also use waterproof bags as they help keep the smell in. Most roll top dry bags have a D-Ring which works very well for this.

Don't forget to hang clothes and cooking gear that have food smell on them as well. I know a guy who had his tent destroyed by a grizzly after he ate an apple on the way to camp and wiped his hands on his pants. When he got to camp he changed and left his pants in his tent.