PaulD made a good point on the 'Once Again A signal Fire" thread about turning the incident into a positive opportunity to review what to do if you realize you are lost. So I started this thread.

I replied to PaulD:

"Some thoughts.

Preparation: Get map, compass, gps, maybe satellite image of area. Study the map and image. Plan the hike. Consider what to do and where to go if an unforseen event occurs. Take enough gear to sustain you for longer than the planned hike if need be. Leave a hike plan, with schedule and contact numbers, with a trusted relative or friend, or the appropriate park official.

Take your survival stuff, including signalling gear and perhaps a reminder card of what to do if you realize you are lost. Typically, sit and prepare a snack or hot beverage; eat and drink the snack while thinking through the situation and formulating / re-visiting your unforseen event plan; usually stay put, stay together, and signal for help.

If you decide a signal fire is appropriate, plan it carefully, build it carefully, assemble what you need to put it out before you light it, and tend it carefully to generate either smoke or flame depending on which is going to be most visible.

Have your signal mirror ready if overflights are in the area, and for when you think rescue is in the air near you."

I am sure the ETS community has plenty to add.