Two things about this situation that always make me wonder about the human condition:

1. Why is it killers always manage to screw up a good thing and leave behind some trace that inevitably gets them caught? It is like they have this monumental character flaw (psychopathy aside for a moment) that always leads to their eventual capture. This guy managed to leave behind some trace of himself at one crime scene, and thereby ensuring that they would find out who it was and thereby know who to look for. I don't get it. If you are going to take such a huge risk as to start killing people, you would think these folks would take more time, think things through a bit more, and come up with a more foolproof plan. Surely it can't be that hard to cover your tracks, but ivariably they leave some forensics behind, or they do something like don't properly dispose of the bodies or the murder weapons, and they end up getting nabbed.

2. After thousands and thousands of years of civilized life, you would think at least one society would figure out that if the average citizen is able to properly defend themselves, then the risk of violent crime would be greatly diminished. Sure, you will still have your idiots out there trying to do dastardly things, but I gotta think if the risk of instant and immediate retribution is prevalent, then the numbers of idiots out there trying to do harm would natrually be kept low; sort of the Dawinian approach to society. Instead, they think that by putting a bunch of words on paper and having a few important people sign it that somehow this great shield has been raised which would prevent criminals from somehow exploiting the weak and ignorant.

When criminals see me, I want them to think of all the things that I might be capable of, or that someone or something unseen might be waiting to launch at them, should I be confronted or accosted. Sure, it might be called escalation by some, but I bet if a BG thought for one moment that attacking me might unleash some form of hell his way, that all I was waiting for was someone foolish enough to take such a risk so that I could exercise my own demons for a change, maybe, just maybe, that might give them pause to consider seeking life elsewhere.

Sometimes the concept of equipped to survive must become a proactive thing.