Sounds like you know about antennas and radio. You didn't say that before. I was just trying to help, that's all. Most folks these days have never even seen a TV antenna up close, let alone know VHF vs. UHF or how to aim one. Cable and satellite are the norm now (in urban and suburban settings at least).

I do disagree with you about digital vs. analog one being superior to the other. But that's OK. We can agree to disagree. It surely depends on our circumstances. Digital reception just trounces analog reception in my area. Even with low power transmitters for the digital and high power transmitters for the analog. I do agree that good upconverted DVDs are fine. Yes, I can clearly tell the difference between BR (or HDDVD) and upconverted DVD, but it really doesn't change the movie watching experience. It's most impressive for those who like to closely observe the nose hairs in the actors though. But anyone who puts up with stretch-o-vision broadcast or adjusts the aspect ratio to "fill their screen" by distorting things is pretty ignorant IMHO.

SD broadcast TV viewed on my 65" HDTV looks pretty lousy (partly because of the horrible compression that Dish adds). That is typical for HDTVs, but some are better than others at displaying marginal SD programming. However, if I use my OTA antenna, ATSC still beats NTSC by a good margin, and HD really shines. Your areas is just different I guess.