Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

I was only using a hypothetical, and it is within the realm of possibility that one could be near a nuclear explosion, without it being caused by fuel rods.

No, you can't get a "nuclear explosion" (as in a nuclear bomb) out of a reactor. Wrong fuel, wrong geometry, etc. The physics doesn't work.

1. I think you misread my post. I didn't think I said that you could get a nuclear explosion from a reactor. My comment that it was possible to be near one, that was not caused by fuel rods. I know that it is possible to be near a nuclear explosion that does not involve fuel rods, Hiroshima was one. My comment was to assume you were near a nuclear explosion, and if so, what can or should one do.

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
The biggest problem is likely to be panic in the public. If the containment structure isn't breached you're more likely to die on the highway in a traffic accident trying to get out of town than from anything from the reactor. Even reports of "radioactive steam" release aren't something to panic over.

2. Now, that's right on. If one was near a nuclear explosion (assuming a worse case scenario) the size of the Hiroshima bomb, panic is very likely to be the biggest problem. If you are a couple miles away, you might not even be able to measure radiation from such an event. That does not mean people outside of two or three miles will not be in a panic. But there is more danger in that panic than in sitting tight.

If you found measurable radiation a few miles away, then it might be because of fallout, particles of debris that are radioactive that are deposited a distance away from a nuclear explosion. Your home is very likely to be your best protection. It's a bigger thicker shield than anything you can put on. Also, RADs drop quickly after any nuclear explosion. So, if you shield yourself for the first few hours or maybe days, you may be at a lower your risks from exposure than if you grabbed your BOB and fled.

Your best bet is probably to shield yourself as much as you can, and if possible, retreat to a safe room with clean, filtered air. But you are going to need to have that room prepared ahead of time.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/02/08 06:15 PM)