Caliber choice is really dependent on where you live and where you may have to go. In a city a .22 might be fine or might not and there is no guarantee you'll be able to stay in the city when the balloon goes up. My philosophy is to carry enough gun to handle with authority whatever I may come across unexpectedly. A belligerent feral hog is a Cuisinart on four legs that would put a NFL running back to shame. A pack of feral dogs is much more dangerous than a pack of wolves. Farmer Brown's Guernsey bull can stomp you just as flat, just as quick and kill you just as dead as a Cape Buffalo if it gets out of it's pasture or you accidentally get in there with it. I suggest planning accordingly.

Perceived recoil is relative to the proper fit of a shoulder fired weapon when you start getting up into effective calibers and to a somewhat lesser extent with handguns. Stock length, length of pull, comb height, offset, cant and so on all contribute to perceived recoil or lack thereof. If you can find an out-of-the-box rifle or shotgun that actually fits you, consider yourself truly favored and blessed. If not, you really should consider finding a competent custom stock maker for your primary long gun. You'll be amazed at what you find "comfortable" with a rifle/shotgun that actually fits you.