For transit, so far I have just used the cardboard box for my Thermette and large Kelly too. My small Kelly is in a nylon stuff sack.

I have not done the handle modification to my Thermette but it really does need one of Bob's sort of handle to make it a safe boiler.

I think these devices are simply perfect for an emergency kit. Around here tons of down branches, cones, bark, needles and the like are available at all times and even slightly damp will burn.

The half gallon from the Thermette is best suited for larger groups and static locations, but I would not hesitate at all to take it or the larger Kelly along on a canoe trip.

The one pint Kelly makes for a pleasurable way to brew up for a lunch on the trail if you pack is large enough to take the bulk. It is not much heavier than a stove/pot/fuel bottle combo, and makes for a relaxing brew up, but it does take a good amount of room (about the size of a large thermos bottle).

Over at one of the super efficient light backpacker sites there is a small following for Kelly's on the trail, as there is never any fuel to carry...but these guys eat nothing that requires much but hot water (nor do they seem to eat anything interesting).

Good report on the camp Thermette Bob. A crude but damned effective device.