It seems to me that firearms using the simple .22 are a finicky lot, at least usually. After a "break in" period of about 200 to 500 rounds they mellow out quite a bit. When I first purchased my ruger MK II with a bull barrel for about 1/2 the retail cost I was overjoyed. Then to my dismay it didn't like anything I put in it. Fired 2 or 3 times and a jam. I finally lucked out and found a round it liked (sorry can't remember what it was) and finally got it to run about 95% of the time. After 250 (5 boxes) rounds of the stuff it runs all the time with no problems aside from ammo related issues. I tend to buy 500 round bulk "milk cartons" now so sometimes the heads get a little bent and cause feed issues or I will have one that the primer has gone to hell and won't go off.
Be patient, if the first batch won't shoot reliable, try a different one. Play around with what the bullets actually are i.e., round nose, flat nose, hard lead, soft lead, jacketed, hollow point. Also try different bullet weights and grain charges. Keep a list of what doesn't work and what does. I suspect in time it will be able to handle most, if not all of what is out there given time to break in. Patience is key.
Welcome to a fun and addicting past time Hacksaw, enjoy laugh

-Bill Liptak