I always figured for any of us in any kind of relatively large urban area we'd need to be at least a little bit psychic to be able to beat the traffic jams ...and being stuck in traffic would kinda defeat the purpose in my opinion.
I have a BOB in my truck for minimal support if I can't get home, like during recent wildfires. Ideally it will provide a few days food, water, change of clothes etc by itself ... but a tent and tarp will be in the truck but aren't able to fit in the pack yet. One day though ...hopefully, since smaller lighter more compact items also are more expensive, I'll have equipment that will.
BUG-IN preps are a work in-progress and while I have a lot of things, they aren not that well organized... but again, the wildfires re-inspired me to work on getting that better organized, so that if we had to evacuate they would already be in one place to grab and go in an hour.
And any form of bugging out always meant ...in my opinion...leaving HOME for an unknown period of time ...so I wanted to have enough stuff to re-establish a new "base camp" somewhere with my supplies. Though it became obvious to me early on, that all my BUG-IN supplies could never get packed up quick enough to bug-out (something I'm working on)....unless I kept them in a huge truck that always had a huge supply of fuel to feed it. Extensive water and food supplies are expensive AND can get heavy quick. I don't have the resources for that, so smaller lighter, more compact is my current mantra. I decided to draw the line at 1 week at first ... and build on that until I ran out of vehicle cargo/storage capacity or realistic time to load it.
My wife doesn't know how much money I've got in all the stuff I've procured over the years (neither do I, but my impression is gonna be larger $$$ than hers) and I don't think I'll ever "be done". I'll just be BETTER prepared next week than I am this week, like I'm better prepared today than I was this time last year.