My experiences have taught me that the best bugging out plan includes a destination and backup transportation modes.

I have 4 places to Bug Out/In to: 1) Set up a shelter in my garage in the event of a Chemical, Biological, or Nuclear incident/accident or if the rest of my home is damaged. 2) Relatives who live approx 35 miles away in a small village. 3) A friend's land which includes an old coal mine in the mountains about 350 miles away. 4) A friend's land/home beyond the mountains, in the country, approx 12 hrs away.

My transportation plans are:
1) Primary Vehicles - a van and a truck (with sufficient fuel to refill the tanks once/approx 12hrs driving time). We can carry maximum food, water, fuel, manuals, weapons, & misc. equipment.
2) Secondary Vehicles - Bicycles (still getting them outfitted properly, including trailers). We can carry 2 weapons per person, extra food, Some specific medical equipment, BoB's.
3) Tertiary Vehicles - walking/hiking with BoB's. We can carry 2 weapons per person and BoB's.

Things can and most likely will occur during such a journey (Bugging Out/In) that can cause you to have to leave your Primary and/or Secondary vehicles behind. I believe that to succeed in the survival equations, multiple options must be created in the event that those options are needed.

When setting up a base camp; I've usually decided beforehand that I will be creating a basecamp. Just as I set up a temporary camp, I take care of the obvious needs first - shelter, latrine, fire pit, and a fire screen, and perimeter security, if I deem it is needed. Over the days that I am in this base camp, I'll address improvements (Wind shields, privacy shields around the latrine, perimeter security, scouting for additional food sources, etc). Over time, I'll get some live traps and cages built for rabbits and possibly other critters (you never know when you might come across a maverick, or a stray goat, sheep, etc.). The long and short of it all is, I'll be constantly improving my surroundings and means to live. I will usually leave a base camp with more assets than what I had had upon my arrival.