In regards to Bugging Out of New York City, I have to add some comments for all New Yorkers to consider:

1) The NYC Evacuation Plan from the late 70's and early 80's (I left in 1981), was an impossible plan designed to evacuate the City in 24 hrs before an expected ICBM attack.

2) Of all of the ways and means to leave the City, using your own boat is the most viable and would be the quickest for an escape and if it has quarters onboard, you've your own motel room/camper with you.

3) If the vessel is large enough for Coastal Waters, your best defense in case of a Tsunami Warning (7 hrs) would be to set sail immediately to a point a few miles east of Ambrose light (just east of the Continental Shelf) which will have you avoiding "the wave".

4) After the Tsunami Wave has passed, you could then proceed northward to enter the Long Island Sound from the East and then proceed slowly to some of the ports along either shore to find a sheltered cove or bay to anchor out in for a few days to let outside help arrive in the area. OR...

5) "Mill about smartly" for approx 24 hours off shore before proceeding up the Hudson River to any location from Poughkeepsie to Albany. Poughkeepsie is the dividing point between the Hudson River outflow and the Tidal forces (Poughkeepsie is the highest point of tidal influences). Anchoring out of the way (just below the lower point) at West Point might be the perfect place to await for outside resources/help to arrive before the time has arrived to try going back home.

6) Being at West Point (or Saugerties) would get you access to clean drinking water, emergency rations, and other gov't resources. I mention Saugerties because there is a small USCG ANT Team stationed there. Port Hudson is another good destination to consider as to where to stop/dock afterwards.

7) If you anchor out, your security considerations would be greatly simplified. This works even better if you have a small raft or dingy to travel from ship to shore and return.

8) With a boat, you can also, basically, relocate to another location to make a home either by sailing north to Lake Champlain, west to the Great Lakes via the Erie Canal, or back to the coast to head north or south. The coastal routes will surely provide only ports that have also been wiped out, whereas by heading west, you can get to unaffected areas and even get access to the Mississippi River via the Chicago Sanitation Canal and Illinois River.

9) If you put in a little thought, resources, and elbow grease; then your boat can be capable of radio (VHF-FM, AM, FM, XM/Sirius), cellphone, T.V, and internet access.

10) Summary:
I think having a boat with a cabin will provide the best Bug Out means from NYC.

A sailboat would be the most versatile. You would need to know how to sail to maximize it's endurance.

IMO, proper outfitting would include basic navigation capabilities including a GPS, VHF-FM radio transceiver, T.V receiver, AM-FM radio receiver, cell phone, and internet access. Notice that I said nothing about a shortwave set, this could cause you problems with being commandeered by any 1 of various authorities.

Your best escape route is to go east past Ambrose Lighthouse and the Continental Shelf and then head inland AFTER the backwash has stopped. Your post incident options would increase then.

Anchoring out provides greater security than docking somewhere.