Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...shouldn't be that hard to clean up..."

How would simple folk like me know what to clean up, how to do it, and would we have the means to actually do the cleanup? This is assuming a really bad scenerio, where there was little or no government support. I know basically zip about that kinda stuff, other than it is supposed to make you glow at night.

As I understand it cleanup in that case isn't very complicated. Detect the perimeter of the contaminated area, mark and calculate the acceptable exposure limit. This will set the amount of time a person can work. Dosimeters still have to be used to confirm estimations and exposures. Then you dig a hole.

If the contamination is small and on the surface you scoop up the contaminated earth and drop it into the hole you created and cover with sufficient dirt to act as a shield.

If the area is larger or deeply contaminated you take the dirt you pulled out of the hole and pile it on top of the contaminated area. Again, forming an effective shield. the decision pivots on which method most reduces worker exposure and creation of dust which might spread contamination on the wind. Water spray, sometimes with a detergent, or foam have been used to keep the dust down.

This protects people from the radiation and dust. To keep your shield from blowing away or eroding you lay down membrane and cover with clean dirt planted with grass. Or you pour concrete. Something to slow erosion.

The membrane also keeps rainwater from leaching the radioactive dross into the groundwater.