Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

How would simple folk like me know what to clean up, how to do it, and would we have the means to actually do the cleanup?

Well, cleanup needs to be done by guys who have at least geiger counters and know what to do. In a repeat of the reactor re-entry scenario there will be lots of aerial surveys (you can find hot spots from airplanes and determine what isotopes are involved) followed by vans running around to pick up debris.

For civilians the important thing is to report suspicious metallic debris, mark it with a sign (skull & bones with arrow pointing at it) and maybe organize a neighborhood watch until it's removed to make sure kids and pets don't go play with it.

If there is no government help and won't be ... you won't know what it is or how dangerous it is. I'm not sure. Here is a site with plans for a do-it-yourself radiation meter, and lots of other chatter about about nuclear strike survival things.

My comment "shouldn't be hard to clean up" meant that properly-equipped teams should be able to find the contaminated spots and remove them.