To me, you are blurring the lines between concepts. Your everyday carry or EDC is designed to get you to your bug out bag or BOB, as I understand it, which is meant as a 72-hour kit to get you to your survival stash (which in turn is designed to get you to your ultimate well-supplied sustainable-survival retreat).

EDC is a major and recurring discussion on this forum.

BOB gear would be lightweight, multi-use, and definitely iclude water and food so you can move without need to hunt or forage for a few days at least. The design is to let you get clear of major population centers with their likely problems in a major emergency.

Survival stash gear would be as robust and inclusive as your survival journey needs, including food and water replenishment gear, and would incorporate everything appropriate from your BOB. The design is let you travel, perhaps several hundred miles on foot if necessary, to get to your survival retreat.

Survival retreat gear would be as extensive as your budget allows, aimed at indefinite sustainable living. The design is to be in a discrete location remote from most other folks so you have a chance to ride out a major disaster that may take months or years to resolve; some plan based on various end-of-the-world scenarios.

If you are at or next to where your survival stash would be, then you may not need a BOB, your EDC amd survival stash would suffice.

If you are fairly near to your survial retreat, then you may not need a survival stash, your EDC and BOB suffice.

If you are living in or next to your survival retreat, then you may not need either a BOB or survial stash, your EDC alone would suffice.

Or so it seems to me this early in the morning.

Edited by dweste (06/14/08 11:27 AM)