Originally Posted By: big_al
Hacksaw:

For your cooking need you might try this.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=288270

I've had fair success (I've never needed to so I've only tried once) using the stove from my Crusader canteen this way. There's just enough room for a twig fire or to drop in hot coals from a bigger fire though the latter usually isn't needed since I bought the cup hanger when I got the kit.

Peanut butter is a good idea too but you can't really use it to suppliment what you catch/trap/shoot...unless you're pregnant. And it runs out. At least with extra fat used as a suppliment only you can have it last a lot longer.

If you're crafty you can save the fat from the fatty animals you do kill. If you cook them over the fire the taste is good but the fat drips off...wasted. I'd likely boil the meat since I'm not sure my bushcraft skills are up to building a bush smoker/oven and then skim the fat off the water. It would keep a little while...much longer in winter. Boiling also makes sure you kill any bugs which might be in the meat. Drinking the water you boil in also gives you some protein plus the fat if you don't skim it off.

If you could build a smoker then you could preserve the meat and ration it a bit. It's not hard to do it the way the native americans did but you need to have some skill and lots of patience.

I ran out on my lunch break and picked up that solar light. It's not the most highly engineered piece in the world..and it's going to require an adaptor to charge my phone but it seems quite functional...once it's charged we'll know. The panel comes with velcro to attach it to your pack or something...handy.

I also picked up a 7x10 silnylon tarp. Lighter than I expected. It's too bad they don't make compression bags this small...the silnylon really wants to expand...I have the same issue with my Tarponcho and I'd love to be able to scrunch them down.