Thanks for being the Devil's advocate Arney...this is exactly why I post stuff here.

The river can get high but I've never known it to flood. I think the worst that has ever happened is high water has erroded the banks to the point of collapsing some of the houses which perch precariously over the river. The river is in a valley and the area around the valley is the largest urban parkland in North America (or so I've been told...over 7000 Hectares) so there is plenty of wildlife. Not ideal to be hunting inside the city (which I think is illegal) but survival is survival...and that's not a discussion for this thread. In fact I would be that one could live in the river valley parks and the chances of being found would be slim...though you might have to co-habitate with some people of no fixed address.

The River does freeze in the winter and it wouldn't be very fishable...but fish isn't a good primary source of food anyhow as they recommend only eating one fish a week from the river downstream of the city due to Mercury.

In winter the bunnies would provide...there are a rediculous amount of them here.

Theoretically I'd be out of the city before too long anyhow and there are a lot of tributaries which lead to ponds and lakes which are fishable through the ice. My kit is set up for that already and include the ever illegal speedhooks. Once outside of the city the wildlife gets even more abundant.

One other toy I've seen today is the solar rechargable Steripen...I think that's a bit too much when I can simply boil water.