Quote:
So by "sustainable," you mean you'd rely on foraging/hunting/fishing for food? Is that practical in your particular area in the best of times, let alone when "everyone" else gets the same idea and you're all using up the same food sources?

I don't see any food or water on your list except the one canteen. The plan is to bug out basically with no food or water at all then, right?

Dont worry Hacksaw, If the SHTF you can bug out as far as my place which is north of the city. I have fresh water and game aplenty behind my place, There are lots of apple trees and veggies in the fall as well so the S better hit the fan then. Just make sure you have a big bottle of 21 year Glenfiddich Scotch in that BOB so we dont run out of whats at my bar. Then we will have something to drink while we have fun hunting.

In a long term situation I would go with a Rhino GPS with incorporated 2-way radio instead of a blackberry.(or take both) The Rhino has scan mode which will pick up all radio traffic like police radio/CB radio and other 2-way rads etc and will be of more use if the service towers are out. it is a GPS besides, and if they are still up and running it wont hurt to have one with the Alberta mapsource data loaded. A portable crank charger for the AA batteries will make you a little more self sustainable over the long run IMHO. I would add a quality compass like a SUUNTO to that just in case.