Originally Posted By: Arney
So by "sustainable," you mean you'd rely on foraging/hunting/fishing for food? Is that practical in your particular area in the best of times, let alone when "everyone" else gets the same idea and you're all using up the same food sources?

I don't see any food or water on your list except the one canteen. The plan is to bug out basically with no food or water at all then, right?

This is the Long Term forum, so could you paint a picture of the situation you're envisioning? Do you need to live off the land only long enough to reach a bug out location, or are you talking about living out in the bush for however long the situation calls for?

Thanks for the questions Arney. You're right. This bag would have no food and just the water in the canteen. Personally I feel that food and water are easy to come by. I live in the city but I'm 15 minutes walk from the North Saskatchewan River where fish, birds, and bunnies are plentiful...it's also a much faster and safer way to get out if on foot.

I have considered adding some 'starter' food like snacks and maybe one meal as well as a flat pack Source water storage bladder or hydration bladder as a backup to store water should it be scarce...they're light and i have some handy.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

I worry about the concept of using your rain gear as your shelter. If it is already raining and you are wearing your poncho, how do you rig it as a shelter without getting soaked? If you have it rigged as a shelter before the rain starts, how do you get it down and on you without getting soaked???

This is what I normally do when I'm going light anyhow. Personally I think it's no harder to rig without getting wet than your average tent...possibly better because you can hide under it in several ways while you set up. If it's pouring I typically rig it in such a way that I string it over a single line then peg the corners. That way I can rig it while I'm still wearing it and just pull my head out at the last minute to pound in the pegs.

I've even thought about trying to just set up the bivy while wearing the poncho, and then getting into the bivy without ever leaving the poncho...just laying it around the head of the bivy on the ground. I've never done it though...too much potential for it to funnel water right into my bag.

Definately an acquired taste but I like having rain protection and shelter in less space than my lightest 'packable' jacket.

I forgot to mention, the EL8 will also charge the phone (I'm 99% sure it has either a USB port or a USB adaptor)