1632 is addicting.

A lot depends on how you "arrive." If I popped up with a bunch of people, I'm pretty much SOL. My survival is limited to how fast I can run and avoid pitchforks/arrows/horses/etc. Also depends when you arrive, since being in the wrong clothes could kill you quick just from the weather.

Assuming I survive the first 15 minutes, I think Red has the right idea. Thank goodness I have a knife with me right now, so I could at least fashion a bow/arrow or spear for hunting/fishing. I'm right now in olive shorts and a tank top, so fortunately I'm not in outrageous clothes - I could lose the top real quick, and maybe tear the shorts a bit to look like falling apart pants. Get out of public view unless absolutely necessary. Get something to blend in with (steal if I have to). Deaf/mute works well, beg/steal food (tomatoes, potatoes, any wildlife in the forest).

For me, if I could survive the first month, I'd start working on language. I've taken, at various points in my life, Spanish, French and Latin. Hopefully I'd be understand the occasional word initially; if not, body language probably hasn't changed much in 1000 years. I'm assuming by a year I could probably understand quite a bit. Hopefully in that time I'd be able to get some glasses, since my contacts won't be much good after a few days there, and I'm pretty blind without them. Once I got the language down, it'd be time to hit the road.

Get a few miles away, so that I'd be "new" to the area, and start fresh. Maybe get in with a barber or set up shop as a physician/surgeon. Not the most prestigious job at the time, but it'll bring in some money. Fortunately, I know how to wash my hands, which will keep me from killing as many patients as my competition. If I could be accepted into the society, perhaps gently push some public health measures, start smallpox vaccines (just like Jenner did back in the day, using cowpox or smallpox scrapings), stress the importance of clean water.

I'd also thank the sweet lord and my parents that I'm up to date on my shots, so all I'd really worry about would be smallpox and TB. I'd also thank my Mom that I'm only 5'7", so I should be about the right height.

Edited by MDinana (06/12/08 06:23 PM)