Originally Posted By: samhain
I agree with much of what was written so far.

I would add it depends on the adaptability of the individuals involved with the individual businesses.

After hurricane Andrew when our grocery store was out of power, they were still conducting business in the dark because the workers could critically think and conduct business with flashlights and calculators.

It's kinda funny and reassuring to see people walking through the grocery store with flashlights, young people helping the older ones who couldn't see as well...

The folks I saw working had a certain air of pride still being able to function like like that.

2 nights ago (fri night) we had a storm go through that knocked out the power to the local Kroger store. After the power was back on (out for just under 2-hrs) I walked down to Kroger, all the lights were on but the store was closed. I was in there today and asked why they did not open when the power came back on, I was told that the computers needed to be reset and no one could do it till they called in a tech guy (or gal) to do it.

Sad that something so simple as a power outage for a few hours can completely stop the store from doing the one thing it’s suppose to do, sell things.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.