I am going to have to start flying to get to work every so often now, and because of the way that the airlines and TSA have gotten concerning baggage, I have shrunk my BoB down to an Israeli Paratrooper Messenger Bag with the following gear:

Khaki Israeli Paratrooper Messenger Bag

Army Camo Poncho
KaBar hunting knife
VFR charts for central U.S.
GPS
Binoculars (small)
Pack of condiments (salt, pepper, sugar, taco sauce, 2 sporks, napkins)
2 MRE’s
Native American Medicine Pouch
Fishing kit
Coffee filters
6 emergency ration bars
2 AA batteries
$20-change
8 cigarettes in waterproof container
2 Bic lighters
2 black inkpens
3-6” wire ties
roll of paracord
US Army messkit: bottle of kitchen matches, 6 Triox tabs, 3 SOS pads, P-38, metal spoon, Combo (knife, corkscrew, bottle opener)
penlight

I would supplement this BoB with other equipment that I also carry, such as:

Every Day Carry (EDC): Buck 110 lock blade, Leatherman, soapstone, 20ft of braided string, mini-maglite, bandanna, pocket calendar, eyeglasses, Bic Lighter, cigarettes.

Other than that I carry: 2 Falsa blankets, 1 qt canteen, FAK w/anti-biotics & water purification tablets, shaving kit, Baja jacket.

From lifejacket: whistle, 55 & 35 gal trashbags, signal mirror.

This is about as lean as I can get and I definitely don't have near what I'd like if I had to leave my boat in Illinois and start heading home to Louisiana. The same is true if I am in Corpus Christi, Tx and have to get home to Louisiana.

Keep in mind that the only reason that I would get off of the boat would be in the event of an EMP event. Chances are that the GPS unit would most likely be useless because of the event and would of course, be left behind.

Your comments are welcome but being the "Big boy that I am", I really don't need to be told that I should quit smoking. I figured that out about 30 years too late.