I guess I meant the Platonic ideal of scissors. Useful items in all their many forms. Shouldn't run with any of them.

30 years ago, before EMT's were invented, scissors with broad, flattened tip on the lower blade were called Lister Bandage Scissors. Nurses carried them, and they were among the instruments on dressing trays, cuz you can cut dressings without cutting patients with them. Lord Lister, who invented the scissors and initiated the use of phenol (carbolic acid) as a disinfectant (Listerine, these days) died in 1912. Lister Scissors been around for a long time, and, 30 years ago, were precision instruments of surgical steel, with metal screw hinge pins. They could be resharpened and tightened, and had a long useful life. Then health care cost became an issue, and it was discovered that it was cheaper to buy East Asian stainless steel instruments for suture sets and dressing trays, and to use once and discard, than it was to maintain a central sterile receiving facility and resharpen and auticlave the good stuff. Along with that came the EMT scissors, stamped, serrated, $1 apiece (versus $40 for the forged real deal). ER nurses are thrifty sorts; many of us tossed used, cleaned disposable instruments in our lockers at the end of the shift. I had about 30 pounds of stainless discards. The old stuff worked better than the new stuff, but the new stuff is okay, and it is all pretty biodegradeable-eventually it turns back into the iron oxides from which it was made.

DR's debris hut has many rooms, and can accommodate all of us-whether we carry SAK, EMT scissors, or a kukri. Whatever cordage we choose, whatever knots we tie, whatever food we store, we are more alike than different. If I got to choose anyone as a partner in adversity, I would sooner choose any forum member, no matter how much we differ in philosophy, than any non-forum member. Let us be kind to one another, and celebrate the differences, rather than beat each other up. We have to take care of each other-no one else will do it for us.
Kum ba yah, folks.

Edited by nursemike (06/07/08 11:51 PM)
Edit Reason: loss of train of thought-