I just copied some of my favorite uses for salt from the Salt Institute page I posted above. There are a lot of uses there that I never knew about. Like these:

But first, I am wondering if any of you think the first 2 salt suggestions below might come in handy while you are hiking in the snow to keep your clothes and stuff from freezing and developing frost, etc? I realize there are some things that you would NOT want to rub salt on.

Uses for Salt:
Frost: If you hang your clothes outside during winter, you will like this one. Use salt in your final rinse to keep your clothes from freezing on the line. You can also use salt water on your clothes line to keep it from freezing too.

Rubbing a small cloth bag containing salt that has been moistened on your car's windshield will keep snow and ice from collecting.

Keeping windows frost-free - Rub the inside of windows with a sponge dipped in a saltwater solution and rub dry; the windows will not frost up in sub-freezing weather.

Improving coffee - A pinch of salt in coffee will enhance the flavor and remove the bitterness of over-cooked coffee.

Keeping milk fresh - Adding a pinch of salt to milk will keep it fresh longer.

Preventing browning - Apples, pears and potatoes dropped in cold, lightly salted water as they are peeled will retain their color.

Boiling Water - Salt added to water makes the water boil at a higher temperature, thus reducing cooking time. (It does not make the water boil faster.)

Cleaning greasy pans - The greasiest iron pan will wash easily if you put a little salt in it and wipe with paper.

Cleaning stained cups - Rubbing with salt will remove stubborn tea or coffee stains from cups.

"Sweetening" containers - Salt can "sweeten" and deodorize thermos bottles and jugs, decanters and other closed containers.

Preventing mold - To prevent mold on cheese, wrap it in a cloth dampened with saltwater before refrigerating.

Drip-proofing candles - Soak new candles in a strong salt solution for a few hours, then dry them well. When burned they will not drip.

Killing poison ivy - Mix three pounds of salt with a gallon of soapy water and apply to leaves and stems with a sprayer.

Maybe that last one will work with poison oak too! If you have tried any of these and they do NOT work, I would like to know?

Joy